It’s been a rough week for me. I am feeling discouraged about life, my business, and so on. I can honestly say I feel overwhelmed too. When life hits you, you do what you can to get through it all. It’s usually never an easy thing, though at times we wish it was. If you’re feeling discouraged, I hope that this post helps you.
Never let the thoughts of self-unworthiness re-arrange your prepared passion for failure. You can do it even if others say you can’t. But you cannot do it if you tell yourself you can’t.” ~ Israelmore Ayivor
We’ve all been discouraged at one time or another in our lives. Maybe you feel that you’re not where you want to be. You’re not making enough money or you’re stuck and can’t figure out how to get moving again. When you take five steps forward, you get pushed back ten. That feeling of discouragement comes and you feel helpless in that moment. You sit there and think what am I going to do?
When I’m feeling discouraged, I feel like I can’t do anything. Life gets hard and the first thing I want to sometimes is run. Run away and not look back. I know I can’t do that. So, I have to hit this thing head on. Feelings of self-worth and doubt enter my mind. I know these are all negative beliefs creeping their ugly heads in. It’s the battle to get rid of them at my most vulnerable time is what seems hard to me.
Don’t be discouraged by life’s difficulties. With hope and determination, you can triumph over any difficulties. ~ Lailah Gifty Akita,
You’re not good enough or not smart enough are some of my negative beliefs. During my time in this temporary zip code, I’m doing my best not to unpack and be here permanently. Maybe I’m just here long enough to throw a pity party and then leave.
I think about what more do I need to do to get to where I want to be? I have already compared myself to other entrepreneurs, but that’s not fair as I don’t know their story. All I see is the outcome. It’s a lot of hard work being an entrepreneur and it isn’t always fun and rosy. This is one of the few times I’ve been here. I wish it would be the last, but I doubt it. Every time I’ve been here there was a lesson to learn. I need to figure out what that lesson is and get my teachings.
Don’t ever shelter the feeling of discouragement in your mind, because it only comes to distract one from one’s true abilities in life. ~
If you have found yourself in the discouragement zip code, let me tell you that it’s not the end of the world. Don’t give in to the limited beliefs that may be dancing around in your head. You (and I) are better than that. We are fighters.
Discouragement is a distraction. A lot of times it’s to take you away from what you’re working on. If you’re an entrepreneur like me, distractions come and go. However, the distraction of discouragement may stay for awhile if you let it. The goal here is to get your feelings out and move on. Yes, it’s easier said than done. My hope for you is that you don’t move permanently to that zip code. I’m sure not. I’ve had my moment and now I have to keep moving forward.
Here are five strategies to help you when you are feeling discouraged:
- Do NOT compare yourself to others. This is very important. In our times of discouragement, we may see someone that is getting what they want and here we are still working towards our goals. As stated earlier, we don’t know their story. You try to compare your road to what you see. We see their successes and victories. We usually don’t see what’s behind the scenes. Wish them well and know that you’ll get to your dream too.
- Go outside and get some fresh air. Sometimes we just need to go out and about for a little while. Go for a walk, get some fresh air. Go meet a friend for lunch or do a little shopping. When you’re moving around and focused on something else, it seems to take your mind off of your issue. I did a Hope Minute on Taking a Break and Go Outside. Take a listen.
- Remember that you are enough. You might be telling yourself that you’re not good enough to do this or do that. Let me remind you that you are. You are good enough, smart enough, you are enough. Don’t let the enemy come in and play with your head. Believe these words about who you are.
- You is smart, You is kind, You is important. If you’ve ever seen The Help, we see Viola Davis’ character speaking affirmations to the child she was caring for. She reminded her every day that she was smart, she was kind, and she was important. Use this affirmation for yourself.
- Don’t give up. This may be hard for some. When we get discouraged, the first thing we want to do is give up. We feel tired and ready to let it all go. I’ve been here. Yes, you may feel this way, but let me tell you, don’t. You’ve come so far to give up now. Keep moving forward.
I hope one or all of these ways help you get through feeling discouraged. Please know that it’s not the end of the world. It really will be okay. You may not see it now, but you will. Keep your head up and keep moving forward.
See you next time…
Hi there! It’s nice to meet you! I’m a successful single mama, mental health advocate, sports fan, blogger and all around fun person helping other overwhelmed and stressed women entrepreneurs to get hope, have faith and be inspired to push through their depression and anxiety so they too can live the life of their dreams. Say hello! I would love to meet you! 🙂