Come on get happy!!
Today is International Day of Happiness. So come on and get happy!! We need a day like this so we can exercise more happiness in our lives. We live in a society that is constantly full of drama and things that cause lots of negativity around us.
According to www.dayofhappiness.net, it states that in 2011, the United Nations General Assembly adopted a resolution which recognised happiness as a “fundamental human goal” and called for “a more inclusive, equitable and balanced approach to economic growth that promotes the happiness and well-being of all peoples”.
2012 was the first year that the United Nations Conference on Happiness took place. At this conference, it was decreed that the International Day of Happiness would be celebrated every year on March 20th. Instead of just recognizing this as an annual activity, we should strive to make happiness our number one priority in our lives.
What makes you happy? How about dancing? Maybe watching movies? Or how about hanging out with family and friends? You shouldn’t look for any big thing to make you happy. For some people, seeing their family makes them happy. Need more ideas on how to gain more happiness in your life? Take a peek below.
- Practice gratitude. By saying thank you, you are telling the universe or your higher power that you are grateful for the things in your life. Write down five things at the end of the day that you’re grateful for. Practicing gratitude shifts your mindset. If you feel sad and depressed, practicing gratitude shifts your mood from being sad. As you continue this practice, you will start to feel happier and more content with your life.
- Stop worrying about things that you do not have any control of. Worrying about things that you don’t have control over would make anyone miserable. I used to be one of those people. Think about this; there is nothing you can do about it. Why sacrifice your happiness worrying about stuff that you can’t do anything about? For things that you do have control over, if you’re able to change them, do so. Bobby McFerrin had a song back in the 1980’s called Don’t Worry, Be Happy. You feel down in the dumps, give that song a listen. It’ll be stuck in your head and you’ll be singing, “Don’t Worry, Be Happy” all day long. You can also see Robin Williams in the video. He’s pretty funny.
- Shift your thinking. Remember this: What you think about, you will bring about. This is so true. If you spend time focused on NEGATIVE thoughts, then that’s what you’re going to get more of; negative situations. That will make you one unhappy person. Sorry, just stating facts. However, if you learn to shift your thinking to more POSITIVE thoughts, that will have an affect on your happiness. Proverbs 23:7, NKJV states “For as he thinks in his heart, so is he.” Listen to positive affirmations and get your mind shifted.
- Get up and move. I am big on music therapy. Music has a way of making you feel different things. Music provides healing in so many ways. Find a collection of songs that fit your happy mood that make you want to dance. For me, I love listening to old school jams. I love to dance. Additionally, dancing is a form of exercise and when you do dance, you release endorphins. Endorphins make people happy. Do this often, you too will feel a lot happier.
- Giving and Kindness. Giving of yourself, your time, or even your money could make you feel happier. Showing kindness to someone could make all the difference in their lives, and also in yours. Helping others should be something that we all should do more of. You don’t have to wait for an opportunity to present itself. Create your own opportunities. If you’re at Starbucks in the drive through, buy the car behind your their coffee. It’s a kind gesture. Buy someone lunch. See a person on the street that seems to be having a rough day? Share a smile with them. That could make their day.
These are just a few things that could help get you started on your own path to happiness. To end this post, take a listen to Pharrell’s Happy. Dance along. I have!! Happy #InternationalDayOfHappiness.
Hi there! It’s nice to meet you! I’m a successful single mama, mental health advocate, sports fan, blogger and all around fun person helping other overwhelmed and stressed women entrepreneurs to get hope, have faith and be inspired to push through their depression and anxiety so they too can live the life of their dreams. Say hello! I would love to meet you! 🙂