We already know that depression is not an easy thing to deal with. It’s even harder to try moving forward with depression. There will be lots of days that you will feel unmotivated to do anything. Unfortunately, that comes with the territory. But, what if I told you that you don’t have to stay there. Just because this is what you may have dealt with in the past, doesn’t mean that this is permanent in your life. You don’t have to stay in that zip code. You can move forward. There’s nothing forcing you to stay where you are. It’s time to move forward; but how to begin to do that, especially in our current condition. Let’s chat about that, shall we?
It took me a long time, but I had to learn how to do this for myself so I too could move forward. Not every day is an easy day. Some days, I have to fight harder than others. All I know is that I really don’t want to make this a permanent residence. Give me a few minutes. If you don’t like what I have to say, then you can go back to living in the valley. What do you have to lose?
“Because if you take a risk, you just might find what you’re looking for.” ~ Susane Colasanti
Let me first ask you a question. What is it that you want to do for yourself? Believe me, it’s not too late. Think of this as a way to start over. In many ways, it is. Moving forward can be a challenge in any situation.
We are not required to stay in this depression spot forever. Depression is what we have; it’s not who we are. I’m not saying that moving forward is easy. It isn’t. However, it is possible.
7 Steps to Moving Forward
There are seven steps you should do when you start to move forward.
- Accept Where You Are. Accepting where you are is the first step. It’s not always easy to accept or even admit that where you are is no longer working for you. You keep trying to make it work in that space, but after numerous attempts, you figure out that it’s really not working anymore. Soon as you’re ready to accept it, then you’re ready to start moving forward.
- Get Your Mind Right. One of our biggest challenges is our mindset. We struggle to try to get into the right frame of mind. We’ve been here for so long that in a weird sort of way we find that we’re comfortable. It’s time to start believing that we are worthy of something great. Focus on positive thoughts. Yeah, I know it’s easier said than done. Fighting the battle in your mind is a daily thing. We’re worthy to have what we desire in our lives. Once we’re able to get past that point, then we’re ready to start moving on to the next step.
- Have a vision for yourself. What is it that you want to do? What can you see for yourself? If you can’t see where you’re going, how will you know when you get there? Write down what you want. Take a minute and just dream about what it is you really want. Write it down. Be as specific as possible. It starts with a vision first. It’s your roadmap to getting what you want.
- Make a plan. Now that you’ve taken some time to dream about what you want and you’ve written it down, start putting a plan together. Do your best to take small steps every day. Doesn’t matter how big or small your steps are, just make some sort of progress every day.
- Start Working Your Plan. In the previous step, you wrote our your plan. Great! Now it’s time to take action. This is where you might feel a little nervous. You might even have thoughts of failure. If those negative thoughts show up, counter them with positive thoughts. You can do this. Take it one task at a time. Focus on that one thing and then move on to the next thing and then the next. Take baby steps. You’ll eventually get to your goal. This is not a race. Think of it as a marathon.
- Don’t Give Up! There will be days that you will want to give up and not do anything anymore. There will be days that you won’t be motivated to continue either. Don’t stop. Fight your way through the process. Anything worth having is not always easy to obtain.
- Be Patient. This journey will stretch you in ways that you didn’t realize was possible. Be patient with the process and with yourself. Not every day will be a good day or will it be smooth sailing.
Trust the Journey
“Just because you feel lost doesn’t mean that you are. Sometimes you just have to relax, breathe deep, and trust the path you’re on.” ~ Lalah Delia
Sometimes the journey we’re on isn’t always smooth or even enjoyable. This is where we must learn the lessons that are presented and also keep our eyes open to any opportunities that present itself. Our journey can be long and hard. Trust that the path you’re on is the right one. Keep your heart open.
You’re probably thinking, “Hope, you have no idea how hard my depression symptoms are.” Actually, yes I do. However, I also know that we can keep hiding behind that or actually try and do something about our situations and our futures. The journey is not going to be easy. It’s up to you.
Give it a try. Besides, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain. Don’t you agree?
Follow the steps. They’re not hard. Focus on one step at a time and work at your own pace.
You can do this. Do your best every day to move towards your goals and dreams. It truly is possible to live a better life than what you’ve got now. You just have to want it. I believe in you.
If you have any questions or you just want to say hello, please do so in the comments below. I’m here to help.
Hi there! It’s nice to meet you! I’m a successful single mama, mental health advocate, sports fan, blogger and all around fun person helping other overwhelmed and stressed women entrepreneurs to get hope, have faith and be inspired to push through their depression and anxiety so they too can live the life of their dreams. Say hello! I would love to meet you! 🙂